Contact

Traveling Alone

Out of nowhere, I yearned for the company of love ones and missed the closeness that we used to have. Maybe because summer is here again which means family vacation, outing and having fun outside our home. Well, I am a homebody person, and I don’t go out too much but I am not a recluse either. I like trips and going to different places. I love to explore other parts of the world and to have an adventure once in a while. I know it’s not feasible unless I’ll go traveling by myself. I have nobody to tag along with me. My husband is an outgoing person but going on a vacation that requires long hours of traveling is not his thing. He likes to take long rides with his motorcycle just for the joy of riding it. My son is a teen and has other plans with friends. While my sister is always busy with her job and family. They go out a lot but with their huge clan and in-laws. We used to go on outings together when my nieces and nephew were still small. Sometimes I miss the old times but time has changed. Most of my friends are now married and just want to take vacation with their family.

I have been researching how to travel or going to places by myself, I was amazed that a lot of people do love traveling alone and some people said they have traveled on their own a lot and enjoyed it. You can even read blogs about their solo adventures. One woman recounted on her blog about her Hongkong adventure. She said she had a great time and felt safe even without a travel companion. After reading her adventure, I thought it was a good idea. Hongkong is not very far from where I live, and it’s actually not expensive to go there especially if you watch out for some promo deals. Also Hongkong is a tourist destination, so you could always join tourists from your country via guided tours. It would be easy to make friends when you already have something in common.    
  
Anyway this summer, when you really have the urge to go vacation and nobody wants to go with you, there’s no need to sulk around and indulge in self pity. You can still have fun if you are adventurous enough to go solo.  I would suggest go online and research some places that you think would be safe for you and have some interesting things to do and places to see. Perhaps you can plan one that includes activities you’re interested in, and that will put you in the company of other tourists involved in those same activities. You could sign up for some sort of hosted vacation – a guided tour, etc.

There are some websites like www.womentraveltips.com that has some good tips and ideas on how to be safe while traveling on unfamiliar places. Always use common sense, be friendly with the hotel staff and always let them know where you are going and when you expect to return. Be sure not to put yourself in a position where you would be alone with anyone. Don’t trust anybody! Socialize in public places, talk to couples, women, children and elders. Be sure to be back at your hotel in a decent time. Have fun but don't set yourself up to be a victim. In advance, decide on a "friend" name. "Joan will be right back" is better than "I'm here alone." Use good judgment and you will have a great time.

No comments: