Contact

Don’t Quit- An Unforgettable Poem

As I was surfing online today I came across a familiar poem, while reading it I was a bit surprised that I could recite the next lines that follow.  It was a strange feeling of déjà vu.

 The poem “Don’t Quit” was my motivation and inspiration to pursue my goal despite financial difficulties when I was in college. I had a picture postcard of the poem which I bought from the stationery store across our school.  I neatly placed it on the back of my notebook inside a plastic cover and it became my companion all throughout my college years. I remember that I would recite the poem over and over on the way home while walking from school. Occasionally glancing at the postcard when I forgot a word, soon enough I eventually memorized the entire poem without looking at the note. No wonder that the poem was so familiar to me.  

These words of wisdom had inspired me during my struggles in pursuing a degree. It had lifted my spirits up so many times when I was barely hanging on. It gave me hope to persevere and to keep going no matter how hard life was. In the end, I indeed was able to reach the finish line and acquired the most coveted prize!

Whoever wrote this poem, “Thank you” from the bottom of my heart.


Don’t Quit


When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill.
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh.
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don’t you quit.


Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns.
And many a fellow turns about,
When he might have won had he stuck it out.
Don’t give up though the pace seems slow,
You may succeed with another blow.


Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man.
Often the struggler has given up,
When he might have captured the victor’s cup.
And he learned too late when the night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.


Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt.
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems afar.
So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit,
It’s when things seem worst that you mustn’t quit.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this recitation. I will surely remember the lines if 'things get rough' in the future.

Marie