Contact

Thoughts on Memoir Writing

I have always been fascinated with memoir writing. Lately, I have been doing lots of research about it. The valuable insights I have gained from reading the works of memoir writers have given me the confidence and desire to embark into this difficult but worthwhile journey of writing.

Though there are many compelling reasons why people want to write about their life story, for me it’s more like a personal therapy. My goal for writing is to heal an old wound and to understand myself in deeper, clearer way. Yet it has long been passed for generations; a fraught childhood still haunts me till now. I feel like I need to do something to be able to move on completely.

Many would agree that it’s unproductive to dwell on the past. Let bygones be bygones as the saying goes. However it’s easy to say especially when people have not experienced the ordeal themselves. They formed an opinion because the damage inflicted on the emotions is internal and deep. It can’t be seen by looking at the outside appearance of a person alone. As this person may be hiding behind a persona to mask his or her true feelings. Self-healing is the key. By transforming our painful life experiences into written words would once and for all unravel the hard knots it had created in our past. Only then the healing process can begin. Sometimes we are able to accept the hardships and move on from our past, but there are certain scenes in life that stick with us. These are the scenes to focus on, to put our pen to paper or our fingers to the keyboard.

Once in a while, I have second thoughts about this idea. The notion of having to recall painful memories all over again worries me.  It is harder than I thought, but if this emotionally intimidating task will be able to heal our soul in the end and can make us whole again then it’s worth all the effort.  I truly believe that it’s never too late to heal. 

So get onboard and let’s begin the journey!  


No comments: