Contact

Enjoy the Gift of Music

Have you been feeling down lately? Listen to your favorite songs and your spirits will be uplifted in a second.  In moments of joy, music will inspires you even more. When you are at a crossroads and bewildered a mellow and inspirational song will give you a feeling of tranquility and comfort.  Music can also be a friend and a companion in times of solitude. Without a doubt, music feeds the soul.     


Over the years, a hectic life had taken over my existence. I had to put aside my passion for music. I became preoccupied being a wife and mom and struggling to build a career. However, I overlooked one of the positive aspects of having music in our busy lives, as a good stress reliever. I neglected to nourish my soul of what it desires, no wonder I always felt something was not there. My soul had left me.

I remember an occasion, when I was still in nursing school. One of  our classmates invited everyone to have lunch at her house, to celebrate the completion of our community exposure as student nurses. She prepared a great meal of assorted seafood with fresh fruits for dessert. After we devoured the scrumptious feast and our tummies had a breather, she turned on her videoke machine. Some of my classmates started singing to the Abba songs. The next tune was Dancing Queen, when it started to play, I was stunned everyone stood up, singing and dancing to the tune. Earlier on, everyone was complaining of tired and low energy. They seemed invigorated upon hearing music. I looked around, I was the only one left sitting on the couch.  “Should I join them?” was my thought. I quickly got up and pretended to be singing and dancing with them. I was dismayed to realize I cannot dance either.  My dance moves were awkward and had no rhythm at all. I felt weird and uncomfortable in that situation. I then excused myself to go outside to answer a phone call, but the truth was I just want to get away and hide my shame.

Nowadays, I am reacquainting myself to music again. I listen to my favorite tunes when I am happy, sad, tired or inspired. I am also learning how to sing better. Dancing to the lively tune comes naturally to me now. My son helped me compile all my favorite songs from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s in a playlist. Music has become a part of my life once again. As long as I live, I will no longer deny my self with one of God’s greatest gifts, the gift of music.

No comments: