Contact

My Home Grown Tomatoes

I finally harvested a few ripe tomatoes in my garden. It was amazing because I didn’t even follow any basic principles on how to grow them, no soil testing, no fertilizer, no pesticides, etc. I sometimes I even forgot to water it. I was not really expecting much from it considering every time I planted tomatoes they tend to die as soon as it starts to blossoms. 


This time I experimented squeezing an over ripe tomato (instead of using the dried tomato seeds I bought at the store) directly on the ground. Then after few weeks or so I observed some small plants started to sprout, then they keep growing I thought they would die soon though. I did not even bother to transplant them so they would have a good spacing or bother to build  a trellis or stakes. I found this wirerack at the back of the yard and put it near the plant when it became obvious to need some support. "Don’t get excited", I thought because soon flowers will be falling one by one but to my surprised it didn’t.



The beautiful yellow flowers slowly turned into little green tomatoes and there were a lot of them. The tomato plants bent down because it could no longer sustain the weight of the tomatoes. The wire rack was not tall enough to hold the plants. Floods came and went my tomato plants still survive. I didn’t know that it would be so easy to grow tomato, now I am wondering why they are so expensive in the market.

  

No comments: