Contact

Oily Skin

Today's curse; tomorrow's blessing!

When my son turned 13, I started noticing a series of physical changes. One of them was his young, smooth and healthy looking skin slowly turning oily. As time passed the oiliness was getting worse and acne started to emerge. My first reaction was a panicked, “oh no, not my son!” I was hoping, as my son grows up, that he will not become the next victim of this genetic curse. That he will grow up enjoying a healthy looking skin.

Oily skin is in my genes, everyone in my family had it. Oily skin compounded with acne problems to boot. I had been battling oily skin and acne since my teenage years and even in my adult life. I still have some of the ugly acne scars as proof. 

So the next available day I had, I went straight to the pharmacy checking every product available for treating acne. There are a lot to choose from and it was confusing what to buy. Some of them were familiar, I had tried them on my acne before and they didn’t work, but I was hoping something would work on my son’s skin.  So I bought the most expensive brand of acne facial cleanser and an acne gel that is supposed to help heal and dry acne. Over-the-counter acne treatments are generally mild and contain: benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, resorcinol, salicylic acid or lactic acid as their active ingredient. Although they help clear acne, their results are not long-term. My son’s skin eventually developed bacterial resistance to the treatment and it was not as effective as it used to. Along the way, I switched brands of acne products and rotated their usage. This routine became frustrating and costly and eventually my son got tired of using them.

Another option was to see a dermatologist, but I’ve been there and done that also. The dermatologist will prescribe oral antibiotics and a topical gel.  The medication works wonders but only temporarily. Once you stop taking the antibiotics, your acne will soon return with a vengeance. Another thing to watch out for are the side effects of the antibiotics that you have to deal with.

When kids reach puberty, certain hormones are activated. This hormonal surge can stimulate the sebaceous glands, resulting in more sebum and hence, oily skin. When you have oily skin, you are prone to acne as well. Unfortunately, there is no magic cure for oily skin. Teenagers will have to learn how to live with oily skin for the time being. I know how frustrating it can be to have a whole new set of problems in your already complicated teen life.

The best you can do is to always keep your skin clean. When washing your face, try using a mild soap and follow it up with an astringent for oily skin. Use warm water in the rinsing of your face. Warm water is a better solvent than cold water and this helps in removing the grime from your skin.

On the upside; according to The Doctors Book of Home Remedies, a person who has an oily skin tends to age better and wrinkle less than a person who has a dry or normal skin.Yay!!! =)

No comments: